Sunday, June 14, 2009

What Year Did The Body Style Change On Yukon

El examen - exam

al-imtiħān. going to be a long post, I notice now, but the occasion merits, and all, I have not written a month. Imagine it's your birthday. Imagine that, just that day, you must examine to get the official title European conference interpreter in English and French . Imagine the nerve, the sensation of jugártelo everything on one card after a year of intensive training, the pressure of having four consecutive tests with no possibility of recovery in case of failing just one of them, the throat when they most need voice control, the butterflies on the stomach when it most needs appear calm, the sweats, anxiety ... And now imagine that, at 30 seconds of starting the first of four tests, that of straight English, run into the room shouting: Notice bomb! Vacate the premises! Fast, by God, quick! How wonderful folks. So glad.




FIRST REVIEW

language: English (American accent)
output:
consecutive term: 8-9 minutes

Two hours after the false start, he resumes his speech.

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. First, thanks for your patience. Hopefully not again have to interrupt the speech because we explode a bomb in the building. Well, you know that while everyone walks concerned about the meteoric rise of property prices, or the final of Big Brother, the European Commissioner for Trade, Peter Mandelson, is trying to impose a trade agreement between the Union European and 76 of the world's poorest countries: the African, Caribbean, Pacific, generically known as ACP countries .

I save the rest. Basically, the world's superpowers have only accepted the free market when they have consolidated their commercial position in the world, until then, had been the most protectionist, "and now looking for other countries to remove import tariffs and other barriers business, despite that they continue to keep very much to do. As shown, agricultural subsidies in the European Union, which allows European companies with cheap products flooding the markets of developing countries, so local producers can not compete equal and just sinking economies.

We are better than that. Would not it be better to really help develop a strong economy to be good business partners in the future, instead of destroying their economies in the short term? You decide. Thank you very much.

Have you ever seen a performer notes? Mine are not a paragon of perfection: use a few symbols, write a lot and I rely too much on short-term memory, but here is the first page of this speech, if you want to take a look.




SECOND REVIEW

language: English (American accent)
output: simultaneous
Length: 5-6 minutes

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. I guess you all know that privatization is very successful in many areas, but in my speech today I will discuss the privatization prisons in the U.S. and the UK, and the reasons why I think that this is a terrible idea whose consequences have been disastrous. Take

chestnut. It appears that, although it has drastically reduced the number of violent crimes in both countries since 1992, has increased almost 70% the number of prisoners in its jails, something unthinkable in nations whose prison system is in state hands, where growth in the number of people incarcerated has increased from 10%. The main reason is that private companies that manage the prisons like any other business: earn more have more people behind bars, and just pressuring and bribing to get more benefits, ie, that every time there are more people in prison, although it's grotesque.

To give you an example: in just one year, two judges of Pennsylvania sent 2,000 children to jail for minor offenses that did not deserve prison sentences even close. Do they seem absurd? As was discovered later that they had received a bribe of 2.6 million dollars from one of these companies. What, you do not believe it? Créanselo Well, I tell you that is absolutely true.

Many figures in the speech, but the ideas are easy to express. Well. The two tests English appear approved, but who knows what the court says.




THIRD REVIEW

language: French (metropolitan accent)
output: simultaneous
length: 17-18 minutes (!)

most feared examination. I enter the cabin, I take a post-it, write the name of my father and it hit the glass, either sight. Breathe deeply. I wear the headset on the left ear only, because the right is to hear myself and go check that everything I say makes sense, that the grammar of the sentences I pronounce it correctly and do not leave me barbaric for talking and listening at a time. Breathe again. She shoots. The topic is easy to please ...

Good morning everyone. I've been giving a lot of laps in my speech today. In the end, I opted for a theme that I personally love it. Hope you like it. Over the next few minutes, I will discuss the history , chemical properties, uses and different processes of glass manufacture.

aaaaaahhhhh! From the beginning, translate verre glass by , I realize that glass would have been better, but there is no turning back: crystal glass here and there. Cold sweat. Many gestures in the cabin to help with the reformulation of ideas. Simultaneous classes in French, I've always said that I leave things, but, inexplicably, I have the ability to fall still standing. Then pull to stand down. That if the Phoenicians were bonfires on the beach and saw a substance that appeared almost transparent, that if in the ruins of Pompeii found many colored glassware that if the glass blowers jealously guarded secrets for many centuries, if the artisans of Murano lived locked up and were sentenced to death if they left the island, if the mix becomes more boron such that if the mix becomes lead which, if very difficult to get that is flat, if the transparency is dependent on various chemical, if there are two methods at the time of blowing glass, and Norman bohemian, which if used for optical fibers, for lenses, windows to regulate light reflection ... Lady, by God, shut up already! The simultaneous English had lasted 6 minutes, but this woman took 10 minutes talking about the bloody glass, and the thing was not finished overtones.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, you are already experts in glass! I hope the next time you put contact lenses, to drink water in a glass, to look out the window of their place of work or to connect to the Internet, remember me and this speech. Thank you for your attention.

What if I forget you and your speech? Madam, I'm going to remember you for the remains. Stop the recorder: 18 minutes 36 seconds. It has done what it could.




FOURTH REVIEW

language: French (metropolitan accent)
output: consecutive
Length: 14-15 minutes (!)

Final examination. I have to stick it to fill gaps in the simultaneous French. Same speaker, horror! Please easy topic, please easy topic. Where are these issues classics such as global warming, the greenhouse effect, the incidence of AIDS in the world or the flu? I open the notebook, grab your pen, look at the speaker, she looks at me, the judge in silence ... Mesdames et messieurs , bonjour ...

Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. For 20 years, in France there RMI, but as of June 1, 2009 came into force a new aid that will replace both the RMI and the API : This is the RSA .

But is it possible? Made with a drum head, not understanding anything, I take my notes as best I can. Throughout the speech, the good woman wishes to explain what is for each of these acronyms, and I learn that
  • = RMI revenu minimum d'insertion = compensatory State aid to social inclusion, API
  • = allocation de parent isolé = single parent allowance;
  • RSA = revenu de solidarité active = active solidarity State aid;
is not much help, but at least I stand. And come to that figure! Lady, I hate her! And just when I thought the speech could no longer be difficult ...

I conclude with a brief note language. I do not know if they know that in France, people receiving the RMI have been called always érémistes , phonetically reminiscent hermit. The relationship is clear, is not it? Well, what can we do now with the RSA? RSA can not do much, but imagine that instead of RSA, out RAS. The most logical thing would be to call these people rasistes , right? But of course, will remind me that a very ugly word, and it seems very appropriate, so let's not play word games. Thank you very much for your attention. Chupa

the bottle. Above, she ends with a joke in French language. I get up, go back to first page of notes, look at the court and smiled. Live theater. Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. What do you want me to say? The anger made me come to me above. Stuck. The board. That's right: I said that the RSA would benefit about 8,500 new homes when they were about 850,000 (to take notes, do not put all zeros), but otherwise fine. As I sat, with adrenaline to the surface, I noticed the chair in the knee and I almost broke. Now wait.



VERDICT

The fifteen applicants wait outside the courtroom. Inside, the court deliberates. After half When anxiety and nervous laughter, they begin to call one by one and in alphabetical order. I turn comes. Activity.


The president of the tribunal, most already in Wisconsin it pretty, but with an uncomfortable resemblance to Carmen de Mairena, opens fire. Hello, Ramón. I guess you already know how it went the thing, right? No, ma'am, I do not know, by God, tell me now. have approved. Your presentation and your voice is extraordinary. You are able to convince who listens until you say is inaccurate or outright lies. Congratulations. Thanks? simultaneously know that the French have been more loose, right? Well, you still only have missed accessory items. You've followed the speech at all times and someone who understood the original would have known perfectly thanks to your performance. I said, congratulations.


And I go and not what I feel is joy: for having a bad day, or simply bad luck, have suspended two people I love very much and they deserved to approve the street, very good performers with whom I shared a great year. Interpreters work anyway and they shall death, leaving a bitter aftertaste. In short, folks, no more Operation Interpreter, ended the Great Hermáster: am conference interpreter. I'm going to El Hierro and celebrate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment