Saturday, May 3, 2008

Direct Rewards Platinum Discover Points

views

few days ago I was fascinated by a pocket watch with chain saw in a house, a wonderful object possibly the second or third decade of the twentieth century, with a car at the time stamped on the cover . I liked him so much that I posed for a photo.

Days later I told my mother, who shares with me this fascination with things anachronistic and I said "but you you have a pocket watch chain." I was surprised, because it was something I had no idea, and she explained that it saved "for me because my family apparently objects of man, as the revolver was talking about in a previous post, is inherit from man to man, the pocket watch of my grandfather, an engineer, his father. Then show me: it is a Longines from the mid 20's with a sleek art-deco engraving on the cap which are also embossed initials of my grandfather. It is possibly one of the most beautiful objects I've ever seen and is made almost entirely of gold. I give him rope and works perfectly.

asked me if I take it and I realize that I'm afraid, there is too much karma in this object absolutely impossible to use. Perhaps one day an eccentric, which would put a jacket (which only did it twice in my life), could use a pocket watch, but not one so golden, so dear, so excessive and full of pathos generation. Although my mother did not remember, review dates and confirm one thing: the watch was given to my grandfather when he was an engineer. My grandfather was the son of an Italian butcher, who came from Genoa with a woman, a half-empty suitcase, a mustache and a suit, and Uruguay got-another-that all sons obtain their degrees. The most notorious was my grandfather, who became director of works of the Municipality of Montevideo, working with Mayor Barbato German of legendary asceticism is not inherited. Asceticism which he shared my grandfather so much that he dedicated his career to public activities (a bad business decision for an engineer), which was not even a handle, not a privilege, not a charge to the family, no enemy. Was the person with less material needs met in my life to be happy you reached lunch with family, watch a movie on TV at night, out for a walk in the afternoon, drink a glass of wine, fix (usually bad) things that broke domestically and listen to operas recorded on cassette Sodre emissions. Nothing more.

My grandfather was nominally a right man, but his identification with the first vareliano batllismo and Uruguay, had given an egalitarian conception so complete that today would be considered a leftist. One of his greatest pride was to have built public swimming pools of Trouville, where my mother and tens of thousands of Uruguayans have learned to swim free, and that a left-wing mayor covered with cement to gain a few meters to leases profitable ventures private. Montevideo Canelones linked to leading the expansion works Gianattasio Avenue and built the lake promenade of Rodo Park quarries, that remains one of the most beautiful places across the city. He shook hands with Albert Einstein , when he visited the School of Engineering.

And when he became an engineer, gave him this watch is impossible to use in this century, which bears the initials of its Italian name, which marks the hours of another time and another country, as dead and forgotten as he, a softly tano, peeled and loves his city, the engineer Osvaldo A. Dematteis.

0 comments:

Post a Comment